A bomb threat can be made by a telephone call, in writing or any other form.
Upon receiving a bomb threat, the Bomb Threat data sheet should be followed. If the threat is in writing or any other form, keep the message and call Security at 5682 or 5560.
- Security will notify the Emergency Disaster Management Team who will report directly to the designated Command Center.
- The Vice President in charge will notify the responsible Building Administrator and Director of Public Relations as necessary.
- The person receiving the bomb threat will be escorted by security to the Command Center for debriefing.
- The local authorities will coordinate with the president and identify if an evacuation is needed.
- The Director of Plant Services will coordinate building evacuation and/or search of the building area.
- If an evacuation is necessary, staff and students should evacuate the building or area in an orderly manner through the nearest exit and proceed to a predetermined area at least 300 feet from the building.
- Instructors and Staff should account for all persons under their supervision. Any missing persons should be reported to the supervisor/building administrator.
- NO ONE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO RETURN TO THE BUILDING, ROOM OF LOCKER FOR PERSONAL ITEMS UNTIL THE ALL CLEAR SIGNAL IS GIVEN BY THE BUILDING ADMINISTRATOR/ DESIGNEE.
Bomb Threat Data Sheet
Record: Time & Date
1. No bomb threat is to be ignored
2. Treat every bomb threat as a potential threat to human life
3. If possible, have co-worker call SECURITY 5682 or 5560
4. DO NOT UPSET THE CALLER AND KEEP THEM ON THE PHONE
5. Be aware of background noises and special voice characteristics (office machinery, music, tone of voice, male or female, nationality etc.)
6. Questions to ask the caller: Document information:
- Where is the bomb (building and area)?
- When is it going off?
- What kind of bomb is it?
- What does the bomb look like?
- What will cause the bomb to explode?
- Why did you place the bomb?
- Where are you now (no campus/home)?
- Are you a student, which program?
- What is your name?
- Where do you live?
7. Notify security 5682 and Vice President for Operations and Facilities 5845.
Stay off the phone and DO NOT PANIC. You will be assisted immediately.
DO NOT USE cellular phones, two-way radios, or other such devices during bomb threats. Use regular telephones.