In the event of a Catastrophic Emergency, Fire, or upon notification from the Vice President for Operations and Facilities (or his/her designee), comply with the following evacuation procedure:
- 1. Pick up personal belongings (purse, backpacks, etc.) and walk quickly out of your classroom/workspace and ask others to do the same, to the nearest exit and proceed to a predetermined area at least 200-300 feet from the building. Assist any person in immediate danger to safety, if it can be accomplished without risk to yourself. (EXCEPTION) In an earthquake situation – First, DROP-COVER-HOLD until shaking subsides – then evacuate.
- If a fire or smoke is detected activate the fire alarm system if not already activated. If fire is small enough use a fire extinguisher to control and extinguish the fire. Do not fight a fire if the following conditions exist:
- You don’t know what is burning.
- The fire is spreading rapidly.
- You don’t have the proper equipment.
- The fire might block your means of escape.
- You might inhale toxic smoke.
- Your instincts tell you not to do so.
- Doors and windows should be closed, not locked, as the last person leaves the room or area.
- DO NOT USE ELEVATORS! Use building stairways to exit.
- Upon evacuation of the building, all should proceed to a designated area for head count by instructor/supervisor.
- Never reenter the building without permission from the Vice President for Operations and Facilities (or his/her designee).