Upon successful completion of the Health Unit Coordinator certificate, students will:
- Demonstrate correct and appropriate communication in the medical industry. Operate the nursing unit communication system.
- Maintain the patients’ charts, maintain the nursing unit supplies, and perform the tasks for patient admission, transfer, discharge, and preoperative and postoperative procedures.
- Practice and demonstrate the technical proficiency skills to function as an entry-level member of a health care team.
- Practice and demonstrate within the professional framework of the Health Unit Coordinating.
- Interact effectively with the nursing and medical staff, patients, visitors, and other hospital departments the functions, responsibilities, qualifications, and accountability, reflecting autonomy of practice.
- Demonstrate the ability to transcribe physicians’ orders, schedule diagnostic studies and appointments for follow-up care, order and maintain supplies, and maintain clerical and patient records.