Skip to main content

Transfer to CPTC

Transcript Review Process for Transfer of Credit & College Placement

This page provides information about Advanced Placement, AP, International Baccalaureate, IB, CLEP, DSST, and DANTES.

College placement is required for admission, and a program education plan is required for all associate degrees and some certificate programs at Clover Park Technical College. Previous college coursework in reading, writing and math may be used to determine college placement in place of taking the COMPASS Assessment. Prospective students may bring their in-state transcripts to the Advising & Counseling Office (Bldg. 12, Lakewood Campus) to establish initial college placement.

For questions regarding official transfer of credits, contact:

Beve Custard
Phone: 253- 589-6003
Fax: 253-589-5852


Establishing College Placement for Reading, Writing & Math

Advising & Counseling can review official and unofficial transcripts of in-state college coursework and/or COMPASS, ACCUPLACER or ASSET scores (taken within two years) to establish college placement and create an Education Plan with the following conditions:

  • Transcripts with both English and math coursework completed at an accredited college or university in Washington state.
  • Must have completed the course with a grade of “C” (2.0) or higher.
  • Official Transcripts must be submitted to Student Records (Transcript Evaluator) for official transfer review of coursework into the college.
  • COMPASS, ACCUPLACER or ASSET placement scores will be entered into your student record within seven business days from receipt of the scores by the Student Records office.
  • Transcripts from any out-of-state college must be submitted directly to Student Records, including for establishment of college placement for Reading, Writing & Math.

Transferring Coursework into CPTC

To transfer coursework from another college or institution into Clover Park Technical College it must meet the following conditions:

  • Coursework must be college level and be completed at an accredited institution and graded a “C” (2.0) or better. Note: requirements may be higher for specific programs. (Example: Practical Nurse program requires “B” (3.0) or higher.)
  • Transfer-in credits cannot be more than 50% of the credits needed for program completion.
  • Complete the Request for Transfer of Credit Form and submit to Student Records.
  • Contact the previous college or institution you attended and request an Official Transcript be sent to the following address:
    Beve Custard, Credentials Evaluator
    Clover Park Technical College
    4500 Steilacoom Blvd SW
    Lakewood, WA 98499-4098
  • Official Transcripts being submitted by the student must be sealed by the college or institution. Opened transcripts will be considered unofficial and cannot be used for transfer of credits.

Note: Transfer of credit evaluations may take up to eight weeks. Once the transfer of credit evaluation is completed, a Transfer-in Report showing courses and credits transferred into Clover Park Technical College will be mailed to you. Please plan ahead.

Advanced Placement (AP)

Clover Park Technical College grants credits to students who have earned a score of three or more on the Advanced Placement Tests of the College Board in the subject areas listed on the Course Equivalency Guide. For more information about AP study and testing, please see the AP counselor at your high school or go to and search for Advanced Placement. When you take your test, be sure to indicate that the results should be sent to CPTC.


CLEP & DSST Credit

The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a way to earn credit for comprehensive knowledge you may have acquired through independent or prior study, cultural pursuits, work or other life experiences. If you successfully pass the CLEP tests you may receive credit for completing certain certificate or degree requirements. Clover Park Technical College (CPTC) accepts the subject tests listed on the Course Equivalency Guide when passed with the recommend American Council on Education (ACE) score. Information about CLEP tests and testing sites can be obtained on the College Board website at

DSST (formerly known as DANTES Subject Standardized Tests) is also accepted as a way to earn credit for prior knowledge or experience. The subject must be equivalent to CPTC courses and will be accepted according to the ACE recommendations for passing and credit value. Information about DSST tests and testing sites can be obtained online at

High School Learning Experience / Dual Credit

Credit/dual credit may be accepted for high school learning experience where formal articulation agreements are in place. Please contact Student Records for specific agreements. For more information on dual credit and other options, visit Pierce County Careers Connection.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

International Baccalaureate students who have earned successful IB higher level test scores may request college credit for IB higher level work that is the equivalent of CPTC degree and certificate course requirements, as shown on the Course Equivalency Guide. For more information, please contact the Credentials Evaluator at 253-589-6003 or email

Military Experience

Credit may be accepted for military experience or education based on guidelines from the American Council on Education.

Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) Credit

Prior learning — sometimes referred to as experiential learning — is the knowledge and skills gained through work and life experience, including both formal and informal education and training.

CPTC understands that students may come to the college with skills and knowledge acquired through work experience, some of which could meet regular credit course requirements. Identifying credit for prior learning can be accomplished by an assessment process conducted by qualified faculty and may result in a course or several courses being posted to your transcript. Current accreditation standards require that no more than 25% of the credits earned through the PLA process may be applied toward degrees or certificates.

Students who wish to receive credit for prior learning will complete the Prior Learning Assessment Request Form available from the Student Records Office (Building 11) and pay the following fees for assessment services: $40 evaluation fee and $20 for each course for which prior learning credit is requested.

For more information, please contact Bevé Custard, Credentials Evaluator, by email or phone: or 253-589-6003

Instructors will evaluate the prior experiential learning of a student in relation to the competencies of the program and will award credit for demonstrated learning outcomes that are appropriate to the subject, course or program offered.

All credits awarded for this type of experience will be noted as such on the student’s transcript with a grade of "X". Credit for prior experiential learning may constitute no more than 25 percent of the credits needed for program completion.

Service Member Opportunity College (SOC)

Clover Park Technical College has been designated as a member of Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC), a group of more than 1500 colleges and universities that provide educational opportunities for servicemembers and their families throughout the world.

Recognizing the problems faced by military students whose jobs require frequent moves, SOC member schools make it easier to obtain college degrees rather than just accumulate course credit by:

  • Limiting the amount of course work students must take at a single college to no more than 25% of degree requirements
  • Designing transfer practices to minimize loss of credit and avoid duplication of course work
  • Awarding credit for military experience
  • Awarding credit for tests such as CLEP