The Policy is set forth in the Procedure.
In the event Clover Park Technical College must close or operate on a delayed schedule due to weather or other emergency conditions, the College will seek to provide that information to all local radio and television stations, by 5 a.m. if reasonably possible. In addition, a recorded message will be available on the School Closure & Information Line at 253/589-5707. The information will also be posted on the home page of the College web site, www.cptc.edu; and at the Public Schools Emergency Communications System web site, www.schoolreport.org.
No announcement means normal operation. Announcements are for one day only.
The notifications will usually be one of the following types, and will usually apply to all College locations:
Effects on Classes
- Late Start: Under a late start, classes will not commence before the re- scheduled opening time. Classes scheduled to be completed before that time will be cancelled or rescheduled. Classes which are scheduled to be underway at the re-scheduled opening time will commence at that time, and any missed time may be re-scheduled.
- Closure/Cancellation: Students are not expected to be in class when the class location is closed or class is cancelled.
Effects of Closure/ Late Start on Employees
- Late Start: Under a late start, an employee has the option of not reporting to work at his/her normal time if the employee believes that it is unsafe to travel and makes arrangements with his/her supervisor. Under those conditions, s/he may arrive as late as the rescheduled opening time without being considered to be late.
- Closure/Cancellation: Employees should not be at their work location when it is closed or all classes are cancelled, except emergency or other essential personnel as directed by a supervisor. However, an employee’s supervisor may assign or authorize the employee to work at an alternate location. If an employee has reported to work on time and the college closes early, the employee will be paid for the remaining work time scheduled for that day, and will not need to account further for that time.
- Accounting for Missed Work Time: An employee who is otherwise scheduled to work before a late start or during a closure or class cancellation, but is unable to work because of that delay, closure, or cancellation, must account for the missed time. The absence will ordinarily be (a) charged to the employee’s accrued annual or personal leave (or any available compensatory time for an overtime-eligible employee); (b) charged as leave without pay; or (c) made up within the current pay period through a temporarily revised work schedule approved by the employee’s supervisor. The supervisor must assure that any resulting overtime shall not result in increased cost to the College. An employee already scheduled to be on leave shall continue to be on leave as scheduled. Faculty members will decide, subject to review by their deans, whether any classes need to be made up. If a decision of the Governor causes the college to be closed, employees will be paid their regular wage without being charged any leave.
Revised: 2000, 2002, 2004, 2009