Why Choose the Pastry Arts Program?
Pastry Arts entails creativity in manufacturing a product that fulfills a basic need: to eat. Students train for careers as bakers, pastry chefs and more, as the hospitality field includes many job opportunities. Our program offers students the flexibility to explore areas in baking and pastry that they individually want to learn more about, parallel to the foundation that we expect them to build in our program. They explore a world canvas with diversity of cultures, styles and resources, and gain real-world experience baking products for CPTC's Bon Sucre Bistro. And for any students who may choose not to pursue a long-term career in pastry or culinary arts, the program will continue to provide a positive impact for the rest of their lives through their improved skills and menu for both themselves and their loved ones.
How Long It Takes:
All program lengths are estimates and are not guarantees.
Median annual wage in Washington:
$24,500 per year
This is not a guarantee of employment or a certain wage. Full career data available at careerinfo.net.
Pastry Arts Program Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the Pastry Arts Program, students will:
- Identify a study path that will expand their skills and further their employment potential.
- Evaluate work quality and generate recommendations for continuous improvement.
- Be prepared at entry-level to be employed in the hospitality industry or closely related field.
- Understand the fundamentals of baking science.
- Have the ability to input orders, process order reception to ensure quality/safety, and correct mistakes as needed.
- Plan day-to-day operations to run a bistro effectively.
- Demonstrate the ability to manage and lead other students by acting as lead and mentor.
- Possess the following certificates: Food Handler cards, Restaurant Management Certificate (NRA) and Accounting Certificate (NRA).
- Apply problem-solving and decision-making skills to resolve guest and student complaints.
- Students will be able to pass the ServSafe exam given by the National Restaurants Association. Work as a team with coworkers to ensure quality and guest services.
- Demonstrate the ability to plan, write, and execute a complete menu and monitor quality.
- Model a high level of professionalism.
- Execute a customer consultation.
Meet Your Instructors
Experience: 20 years of industry experience including Restaurant Management, Casino Management, and Commercial Kitchen Operations.
Education: Clover Park Technical College - Pastry Arts Degree